Thoughts and ideas on the Unitarian Universalist Spirit Play method of religious education, which is grounded in Montessori methods and inspired by the Episcopal Godly Play.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Who Speaks for Wolf?

Here's the layout for a new story that could be categorized as a 6th Source Story (earth-centered traditions) or a 7th Principle Story (respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part). I don't know that it would be right to classify it as a 3rd Source Story (world religions) because I am having trouble finding out if it is authentic to any one Native American tribe or region. This brought up a new issue for me, and that was looking at the Spirit Play story selection and presentation through an anti-racist, anti-oppression, and multicultural lens. That's new for me, so I don't have any fully formed ideas to share yet, just a notion that that habit would be helpful.

That said, here's the layout. The text of this story appears on the training CD






I have been messing around with the scroll saw a bit, and made this wolf figure to use instead of the suggested, though that one is quite nice and inexpensive. I like how my figure turned out a lot, but the scale is wrong with the people across the river (which come from the Powhotan people TOOB). That bothers me some. It seems as if it could be a distraction, and would inhibit acting out the story in a way that illustrates a more authentic interaction between humans and animals. (The resin toy suggested in the story is too big, too, so I think the whole layout would have to be reimagined to solve this problem.)

Also, one change I made from the suggested layout was to make the wolf's land look more lush and large than the people's. I think that helps drive home the point that the people coveted the wolf's territory, and that animals truly do need bigger and wider spaces than people do to live out their lives in a natural way.

I'll be interested to see how the children play with this set. It will be a good opportunity for me to focus on a practice that I was recently reminded of, and that is to carefully observe and record the children in their learning work and to make any needed changes to draw out the meaning and level of engagement.

Edited to add: The special work choice that we used for this story is here.

1 comment: